Tuesday, September 16, 2008

WHO AM I

Favorite Passage of the day:

'WHO AM I?'

(from "Seven Steps to Inner Power" By Great Grandmaster Dr Tae Yun Kim)

'A quick answer may bring the response: "I am an engineer." Or, "I am a person who likes people; I am full of stress and axiety; I am a mother; I am a nobody; I am athletic; I am intellectual; I am shy..." Note how often we tend to describe ourselves with positive or negative perssonality characteristics that we've developed or acquired over the years an accepted as being 'us'. Most of us do not look much deeper than that...'

Before I started training at Jung SuWon, I was 24 years old and I thought, "Of course you should know who you are. You know what your name is? Right?" Well --- not necessarily... and maybe you do not really know yourself or your abiltiies at all. Maybe you have not really met yourself yet.

For instance, before I started training in a martial art, I was an extremely un-physical person. Before training the most physical thing I really did was turn the pages of books. I never, ever in a thousand years would have thought I would ever train in a martial art - let alone discover I alone love training in martial arts.

When I look back now, I see that if I'd never started training at Jung SuWon, I would have missed learning so much about myself. I might never have learned I can be disciplined and focused physically and mentally. If I had never started training, I would never have learned I can grow physically stronger, discover the joy and accomplishment of focusing on a goal and then breaking a board or a brick with my hand or foot, and feel the resulting self confidence in both my home life and at my work.